 |
| Guests enjoying Sunday Brunch |
My friend, Dana Dell, of the Humane Society, kept telling me about a new vegan / raw restaurant on Prytania called Seed. I would see a business called Seed across the street from the Soka Gakkai International center every Sunday. But for some crazy reason, all I could see was a plant store. Well in a way I was right. Seed is a plant store that sells plant foods prepared in original concoctions created by Chef Edward Rhinehart.

I learned that chicken and waffles were very popular in Los Angeles when I lived there. Since I had been a vegetarian for many years prior, I could never try this crazy sounding concoction. Well, at Seed, I was able to give the southern fried nuggets + waffles a try. The nuggets, tofu battered in chickpea flour and spices, had a surprisingly authentic chicken flavor. Next time, I would ask for the waffle to be toasted a bit more crispy. This dish is served with a side of real maple syrup, not the corn syrup served by most breakfast joints. In addition, almost all of the produce used by the restaurant is either local, organic or both. Even the tofu that I enjoyed in the chicken nugget is made in New Orleans.
And the “Design Your Own Salad” portion of the menu gives guests more organic and local options including lots of raw seeds. How apropos? Guests can not only choose from the basics: sprouts, chickpeas, cucumber and tomato, but also jicama, edamame, sun-dried tomatoes, and oyster mushrooms. For a savory and sweet salad, I like to add mango or dates or both if I’m feeling really crazy.
 |
| All the juices are made fresh to order. |
There’s also a juice bar with abundant options. My waiter, Ramil Rodriguez told me his favorite juice is the Standard, made with carrots, beets, Granny Smith apples, lemon, and ginger. You can’t go wrong with this one. It’s the basic. There’s also great smoothies to choose from like the Mango Lassi and the decadent Triple Chocolate Avocado.
The lunch and dinner menu is fairly expansive. I can’t wait to try the grilled cauliflower, or a BBQ sandwich made with their house-made seitan, and on my next visit, an eggplant po-boy. And there’s much more. The atmosphere was smooth and cheerful like the voice of Sade who was singing in the background over the acoustic system. The staff is also knowledgable, helpful and cheerful. Please support and enjoy this little seed that has sprouted in our community.
Namaste...
No comments:
Post a Comment